Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 2


Today, at 7:35, after a lot stretching and yawning, we finally crawled out of bed. We had breakfast at the Super 8, which was basically a bagel, some poppy seed muffins and some sticky orange juice. How should I know it was sticky? Well for one thing, my brother spilled it all over the floor and I was the one stuck cleaning it up. ( and Mom too- but that is beside the point.)
Then we headed to the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center. I had no clue how dangerous the trail was. You either drowned, starved, froze, got attacked by Indians or animals, or came down with a very dangerous disease called Cholera, which killed thousands. In fact every twenty yards, someone on the trail was buried.

Afterwards we started our drive. My sister and I played a very intense game of animal vet on the D.S. while my brother played on his Leap Pad. We stopped at a little town outside of Boise, Idaho to go to the restroom and drink some water plus squirt some in my eye. My sister and I then played a game of crazy eights on a suit case. It moved around a lot so it was very hard to play. We never finished the game, but I think I won, although I did have about half the deck in my hand. Four hours later we were in Utah! Two states in one day! A new record! ( for the Mankin family.) We have traveled, so far, about 780 miles! I can't believe I'm still alive, and not dead from boredom!


We stopped in the town of Trementen, a cute, little town in the Saw Tooth Mountains. We checked in at the Sandman Hotel and then relaxed until our stomachs drove us to " George's Crossroads' Restaurant." I had the best burgers ever ( besides my dad's of course) and free pie. Lots and lots of pie. My stomach felt as if it was about to explode! But man, was it good.


All I wanted to do was lie down at the hotel, but instead we went to the park. I can't believe i'm saying this, but it was actually really fun.



Then we headed back to the hotel and finally collapsed on the bed and watched t.v until we all passed out.




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update. Just think, only 1,053 miles to go. You're practically there! Watch for the continental divide when you get to Wyoming. You'll actually pass over it twice as you drive through the state.

    Did you know Wyoming has the lowest population of all 50 United States - less than the number of people in the Portland area. Wyoming does have a lot of jackalopes though. I'm sure you'll see some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. You are pretty much halfway. Congrats!!! It sounds very tiring. The first paragraph about the breakfast was hilarious. Why did YOU have to clean it up?! Poor chingchang. :( But still sounds like your having fun! :):):)

    ReplyDelete